Character is supposed to be the sum of your habits, thoughts and values, abi? How do you know when something is out of character for you or for anybody else for that matter?
When you tell someone that his actions are out of character, it implies an assumption that we know what their character is. Did you see the double uncertainties I used there? Implication and assumption? I used them because all we can ever know about someone else and most times even ourselves are just uncertain truths. I don’t believe you can know someone enough to deduce what his character is or what her moral code is in every situation.
It is said that the true test of a man’s character is where he stands in times of adversity and strife, most of us would not consider killing another person but if there was a war raging and a certain person was pulling the team behind due to ill health or weakness we might not hesitate to shoot them between the eyes
Uju nominated me for the freestyle writing challenge and her topic was “tell us about something out of character”. I decided to write about character and situations that affect it. I no longer believe that we have set characters and behaviour codes and there do not believe that anything can truly be out of character.
My word count was 173 and my time was six minutes. The rules are to nominate five bloggers to join the challenge but I’ll skip that and invite anyone who reads this and wants to participate. The full list of rules are below.
1. Open a blank document.
2. Set a stopwatch timer to 5 or 10 minutes, whichever length you prefer.
3. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH YOUR TIMER!!!
4. Once you start writing do not stop until the alarm sounds! Do not cheat by going back and correcting spelling and grammar
using spell check (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your
ability to write with correct spelling and grammar.)
5. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation or capitals
6. At the end of your post write down the number of words to give an idea of how much you can write within the time Frame.
7. Put the whole document onto your post and nominate 5 others and give them a new topic. Remember to copy paste the rules in!
If you’re interested… my topic is “what would you do if you knew you wouldn’t fail”